Title IX and Other Resources for Students, Faculty, and Staff

Graduate and Undergraduate UChicago Students

  • Ask the Gargoyle: UChicagoGRAD will answer any questions/respond to issues related to your UChicago graduate student experience when you complete the Ask the Gargoyle submission form.
  • Grad Guide Weekly (GGW): Stay informed by reading the Grad Guide Weekly; you can register to receive weekly emails. 
  • Campus and Community Safety: for info on safety on campus and in surrounding areas, UCPD's daily incident reportssecurity alerts, and other info.
  • Health and Insurance: Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) - All registered students pay a quarterly Student Life Fee which allows them access to the Student Health Service and Student Counseling Service. Info on University insurance for students, including dental and vision coverage, is available here.
  • Family Resource Center: operated through UChicagoGRAD, the FRC provides a welcoming space where all university-affiliated families from the university community can access resources, information, and supportive programming and services. Parental Relief Policy - the policy on University benefits for graduate students who become parents while enrolled is located in the Graduate Student Manual.
  • Religious Absences: in the event you find yourself facing conflicts with religious observations, contact your instructors in advance and make arrangements to meet academic requirements. Please go to the UChicago Spiritual Life page for more info. The Dean of Rockefeller Chapel can be reached at 773-702-8282.
  • Support in Emergency Situations: should you experience a personal emergency, you do not need to face it alone. The Dean of Students, along with the Dean-on-Call, is willing and able to assist and provide support.
  • If you have an emergency and need to go to the Emergency Room of the University of Chicago Medical Center (UCMC), it may not occur to you to contact the Dean of Students or the dean-on-call for assistance. We have developed an electronic form, called HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) authorization, that allows you to indicate in advance who you would like to reach out to you should you be in the emergency room of UCMC. 


Title IX for Students, Faculty, and Staff

Title IX and the University Policy on Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct 

  • Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities. This includes all forms of sex discrimination against program participants. Including sexual assault, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking (referred to here as "sexual misconduct"). 
  • The University is committed to taking necessary action to stop, prevent, and remedy instances of sexual misconduct. 
  • Individuals who have experienced any form of sexual misconduct are not obligated to engage with University offices or respond to institutional outreach regarding the matter. In some instances, the University may need to move forward based on information already received. If this occurs, the individuals involved will be notified. 
  • Reporting an incident to a Title IX Coordinator is private and doesn't mean the person who experienced the incident somehow loses control of the process. Individuals may choose not to move forward with the disciplinary process and may still request support services and/or accommodations. 
  • Retaliation of any kind is strictly prohibited for either party involved with the reporting and adjudication of incidents.

University Disciplinary Processes 

The University has disciplinary processes in place to investigate and, when warranted, adjudicate sexual misconduct.  

  • Jeremy Inabinetinabinet@uchicago.edu or (773) 834-4837, Associate Dean of Students in the University for Disciplinary Affairs, or his designee, can discuss processes with anyone who is considering or wishes to make a complaint about a student
  • Bridget Collierbcollier@uchicago.edu or (773) 702-5671, Associate Provost and Title IX Coordinator for the University, or her designee, can discuss processes with anyone who is considering or wishes to make a complaint about faculty, other academic appointees, postdoc researchers, staff members, or others

Confidential and Private Resources 

  • Private Resources: while faculty and staff members will not share any information you choose to disclose with other faculty, staff, students, etc., faculty and staff members are considered to be Individuals with Title IX Reporting Responsibilities. This means that faculty and staff must report all incidents of sexual misconduct to a Title IX Coordinator. For a full list of University employees who are considered Individuals with Title IX Reporting Responsibilities, please refer to the Equal Opportunity Programs site linked at the beginning of the Title IX section on this page. 
  • Confidential Resources: unlike private resources, confidential resources will not reveal your identity or report any identifiable details regarding incidents of sexual misconduct to a Title IX Coordinator without your consent. 
    • The following resources are confidential: Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call (773-834-HELP): Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; answers any questions related to sexual misconduct; Ordained Religious Advisors in Spiritual Life (773-702-2100); Student Health Services (773-702-4156); Student Counseling Services (773-702-9800); a staff member is on-call 24hrs a day / 7 days a week at SCS

Interim Protective Measures and Accommodations 

Students who have reported sexual misconduct have the right to request interim protective measures and/or reasonable accommodations, including but not limited to: 

  • Changes to academic, living, dining, working, or transportation situations; obtaining and enforcing a University-issued no contact directive; assistance in obtaining an order of protection or no contact order in State court; medical assistance (including information on preserving evidence); legal/law enforcement options (including assistance with notifying local law enforcement); safety planning; on- and off-campus referrals and resources; assistance with accessing and navigating campus and local health and mental health services, counseling, and advocacy; referral to the disciplinary process; having their report recorded and tracked; wellness coaching/HPW workshops 

Other Contacts 

For Filing a Report - students can visit umatter.uchicago.edu or directly contact Bridget Collier (bcollier@uchicago.edu or  (773) 702-5671).


Refer to the Equal Opportunities site for detailed information on Title IX, and other programs in place to protect students, staff, and faculty. 

24 Hour Resources: 

  • City of Chicago Police Emergency: 911 
  • University of Chicago Police Department: 773-702-8181 or 123 from any campus phone 
  • University of Chicago Medicine Emergency Department: 773-702-6250; 5656 S Maryland Ave 
  • Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call: 773-834-HELP (4357) 
  • Student Counseling Service: 773-702-9800 
  • wellness.uchicago.edu  

Additional Resources: 

  • City of Chicago Police Non-Emergency: 311 or 312-744-5000 
  • Disciplinary Affairs: 773-702-5243; harassmentpolicy.uchicago.edu  
  • Student Health Service: 773-702-4156; wellness.uchicago.edu 
  • Office for Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Support; Prevention Initiatives and Programming: 773-834-7738; voices.uchicago.edu/equity 
  • Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline: 888-293-2080 
  • YWCA: 866-525-9922 

Specific Processes for Graduate Students

  • Payroll / Self Service: for issues with payroll, check with your supervisor first. If you're a Course Assistant, Lecturer, or a BA Preceptor, inquire about your paycheck with the College. If you're not sure whom to contact, check with the Department Administrator or Department Assistant. You can also get in touch with Grad Help by emailing gradhelp@uchicago.edu.
  • College Evaluations: please visit evaluations.uchicago.edu to view evaluations from College courses beginning in Winter 2003; some students include reviews for their Course Assistants.
  • Tech Support and IT: visit itservices.uchicago.edu for general resources from UChicago's IT Services. If you need help with email, connectivity, wifi, or University interfaces and services, you can contact IT Services by email, calling 773-702-5800, or visiting the TECHB@R on the first floor of the Regenstein Library. You can also visit the Knowledge Base for help with common questions about University email and other issues. If you're using a computer issued by the Division of the Humanities, need help with a Divisional website, wiki, or blog, or have another Divisional computer/IT issue, get in touch with Humanities Computing by email or calling 773-702-6085.
  • Facilities: Go to the Facilities site for information about Facilities services and resources, including contact information for submitting service requests, and updates on-campus construction. Alternately, you can submit a service request for an office or classroom through the Department Administrator.
  • Getting Reimbursed / Reimbursing Visitors: To get reimbursed for an expense, or check the status of a reimbursement or other payment please speak to the Department Administrator or Department Assistant. You can visit the financial services website to learn more about requesting reimbursements and other types of payment. 
  • For reimbursements related to HDGSC events, please reach out to the Dean of Students Office. 


Faculty and Staff

  • Cross-listing courses, undergraduate course evaluations (please get in touch with Department Staff if you need to run evaluations for a graduate course), GEMS / reimbursing students and guests / hiring research assistants and student workers, faculty and staff handbooks, and IT Services / Humanities Computing. 

For information regarding benefits / health plans / leaves of absence (non-research), please visit the benefits section of the Human Resources website.